UGC Asks HEI and Affiliated College’s Students, Faculties to Register on Fit India Portal.
On National Sports Day, August 29, 2019, Hon’ble Prime Minister Narendra Modi had initiated the “FIT INDIA” movement with the intention of incorporating fitness as an integral part of our daily lives.
The FIT INDIA platform was developed by the Ministry of Education to help all faculties and students be physically, mentally, emotionally, and intellectually fit.
“The mission of the Movement is to bring about behavioural changes and move towards a more physically active lifestyle,”
In furtherance of the execution, the University Grants Commission (UGC) has asked all higher educational institutions (HEIs) and their affiliated colleges to encourage their students and faculties to sign up to Fit India Portal and has requested the institutes and universities via letter dated November 28, 2022 to upload stats of fitness activities performed at various time points.
Under this movement, various initiatives have been proposed to achieve the following objectives: promote fitness, spread fitness awareness, encourage indigenous sports, encourage public participation in fitness initiatives, etc.
However, in order to achieve these goals, HEI must play active roles in the mission and carry out responsibilities such as,
- to create awareness amongst students to remain fit, including healthy food habits.
- Fitness programmes should be offered as co-curricular or extra-curricular activities at HEIs.
- to inculcate the culture of games and sports in all higher education systems.
- A primary health care or wellness centre is required at all HEIs.
- Institutions will undertake various activities throughout the year,
- activities to create awareness and sensitise students and faculty to adopt healthy lifestyle options.
- activities to promote, foster, and support sporting acumen. Organizing sporting events.
- activities to support mental health, stress management, etc.
To perform and deliver these responsibilities, HEI needs to constitute a fitness club comprising of at least 20 members, of which 4 should be women, implement fitness hours, prepare an annual theme based action plan, and monthly upload videos, images, or documents on the portal.